Sunday, August 21, 2011

Because I'm Amazing!

Last week, I was interviewed for a promotion.  They were promoting two applicants.  They had received three applications for the position.

The interview was about what I had expected:

"Tell me about a time when you had to... and how you resolved it."

"Tell me about a time when you couldn't find an answer in your standard resources, and you didn't... and how you resolved it."

"Tell me about a time when you had a homeowner... and how you resolved it."

"Tell me about a time when you made a mistake at this job... and how you resolved it."

The last thing the pair interviewing me demanding of me was:

"Why should we hire you over the other applicants for this position?"

To which I immediately replied, "Because I'm amazing!" in a tone of voice that indicated this was a self-evident truth they ought to have picked up on by this point, seeing as I've been at this job for 4 1/2 months now.  I followed up with, "And because I do genuinely enjoy my job.  And I'm good at it.  And because I enjoy helping others learn how to do their jobs better."

That was it.  I got an email 90 minutes later with the offer.  I accepted immediately.  I began training the next day.  I start my new duties tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment