Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Memories I Cherish

  • A ball of chocolate colored fluff that fit in the palm of my hand--2.25 lbs
  • The day I took him over to my sister's apartment--the only time he really barked like crazy as a puppy--we figured out pretty quickly that the smell of blueberry Krispy Kremes drove him nuts. Once the blueberry donuts were eaten, he was silent.
  • Our first walk--less than a quarter mile and I had to pick him up and carry him
  • Teaching him to sit, lie down, wait, hold hands, kennel
  • Watching him fall all over himself, slipping on the floor and sliding around in his efforts to get turned around, as I called him with the promise of Pupperoni dog treats
  • Watching him sleep
  • The way he'd stretch out and his back legs made me think of a frog
  • His little face looking up at me with absolute joy and adoration
  • When he stretched out and I rubbed him down, his entire body from the base of his neck to the base of his tail was the length of my hand from wrist to finger-tips
  • Our first walk in NYC, and meeting an Irish Wolfhound
  • The way he avoided puddles and hated to get his feet wet
  • How he pouted after a bath, grabbing his treat and running off to find sympathy from another person
  • That at 5 pounds, he absolutely cowed his best friend--a 120 pound yellow lab named Chewbacca
  • The day I came home from work to find a squirrel skin turned inside-out on the sidewalk, stripped clean. No bones, no muscle, nothing. Just the empty, inside-out skin. I called the vet and they told me to watch for diarrhea. That never materialized. I did, however, wake up at 3:00 the next morning when I rolled over and put my foot in a puddle of vomit comprised mostly of squirrel parts.
  • The way he would curl up behind my knees when we napped; or on my hip; in front of my belly
  • That he was protective of me, even when it meant standing between me and other people he loved
  • How much he loved his Nanna
  • Walking around the lake
  • The way he hunted rats--squeezing his whole body under the refrigerator, and shimming out again backwards
  • How demanding he could get about ensuring I went to bed on time
  • That tying my shoes took thee times longer than necessary because I had to play fetch and tug-of-war in the process
  • That his favorite toys were the ones given to him by Pompa
  • Dressed up as Santa for Christmas
  • Dressed up as felon for Halloween
  • How much he hated to wear hats
  • That he fit perfectly inside my jacket, with just his head popping out at the neck
  • That I could put him in my shoulder bag, and carry him around, sound asleep
  • The way other people responded to him when we were out and about
  • That he refused to potty outside in the pouring rain
  • His energy, warmth, and light
  • He was the primary impetus for sustainable health changes--and the accountability I needed
  • How much he loved blueberries;
  • and raspberries;
  • and blackberries;
  • and strawberries;
  • and apples;
  • and pears;
  • and bananas
  • How comfortable he was with most strangers
  • His little face staring up when he'd beg
  • The way he curled up in my lap or next to me as I read or watched TV
  • The digging, digging, digging at pillows to ensure they were in exactly the right spot before he would curl up for a nap
  • That he wouldn't lie down on the floor unless their was a pillow, blanket, or other soft object between him and the floor. Carpet didn't count.
  • He finally got over this last point his past winter when he'd curl up on the kitchen floor near the radiator while I cooked, or in the common room near the radiator while I ate. But if I was on the couch, so was he.
  • How often I would find him ignoring his kennel, and his blankets, and any assorted pillows in order to curl up in my work-out sweats
  • That when I left the blind up, he would find a spot in the sun on my bed
  • How much he loved;
  • and loved;
  • and loved;
  • and loved;
  • and loved;
  • and loved me, and others, unconditionally
  • How forgiving he was
  • The way he checked in on our walks, glancing up every few moments to make sure we were on track.
  • The way his body moved and the look of joyful delight on his face when he ran full-out

No comments:

Post a Comment