Sunday, February 24, 2013

Soap-ish?

I am not crafty.

I do, however, have (a) crafty friend(s).  In particular, my friend PSS, likes to crapt.  No, that is not a spelling error.  It is apparently a common form of crafting using refuse.  Recycling and craft all in one.

This intrigues me.

So, I decided to give it a shot.  Not that I have any skills, but I do have a bit of free time on Sunday afternoons.

Several months ago, I sent a bar of soap to a friend.  I do not like bar soap overmuch, but there was a reason for this particular bar.  Unfortunately, a single bar of soap could not be found, and I purchased a 4 pack.  Thus, I had three leftover bars.

To be perfectly honest, Ivory soap smells terrible to me.  Ugh!  Total crap.  3 bars of it.  And it's been hanging out for a year.

I also have some rosemary water hanging around because I managed to kill a rosemary plant (I'm not good with plants), and I used the dead refuse to create a hair tonic.

So, here goes:

3 bars of Ivory soap (crap!)
12 oz rosemary water
3 tablespoons coconut oil
2 tsp Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap
100 drops lavender essential oil
3 tablespoons lavender flowers
3 tablespoons dried rosemary

Line 4 mini loaf pans with parchment paper.

Using a cheese grater or microplane, grate the bars of soap.  Three bars of soap turns into a TON of soap shavings, FYI.

Place 2 inches of water in the bottom of your double boiler and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat to a simmer and put the top bowl over the water.

Place your soap shavings in the top of a double boiler.  Add the rosemary water and coconut oil.

Stir, keeping the water in the bottom of the double boiler at a simmer, until the soap is completely melted.

Stir in the lavender flowers and dried rosemary.  Ladle into prepared pans.  Allow to harden.

I have no idea how this is going to turn out, but I made an effort.  And I'll probably update and add pictures if it ends up being okay.

2 comments:

  1. keep us updated! love the idea of using a cheese grater with soap. you can probably still reuse the grater, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PSS, the cheese grater was not at all damaged. I'm still waiting for the soap to completely dry.

      In the meantime, I've found some NaOH at amazon and I'm seriously thinking about taking up soap making from scratch!

      Unfortunately, this batch still smells predominantly of Ivory. :(

      Delete