Wednesday, October 17, 2012

The Joy of Bad Ideas

It is a terrible idea.  I know this.

I do it anyway.

A few times a week, on at least one of mine and Lili's twice daily walks, I jog a block.  Twice.

At 150 lbs overweight, this is a terrible idea.

My doctor, I can assure you, would agree.

My knees and hips agree as I pound the crap out of them.

The bruises that ring my knee caps agree.

The searing pain of shin splints agrees.

The tenderness in my foot that could easily be a precursor to a stress fracture agrees.

Regardless, I do it.  1/8 of a mile, in two 1/16 of a mile segments at the 1/4 and 3/4 points of my 1 mile walk, a two to three times a week.

A terrible idea.

I do it anyway.

I do it because sometimes I need a reminder of why I started eating healthy and exercising again anyway:  I love running, and I miss it.

I do it because I love the feel of my muscles working harder.

I do it because I love the strike of my foot on pavement.

I do it because nothing seems to clear out my lungs quite like a run, no matter how brief.

I do it because I love the soft, loose feel of my body after.

I do it because while I'm focusing on form, breath, and balance, there is room for nothing else in my brain.

I do it because I love running.

It's a terrible idea, and I do it anyway.

I do it because that 1/8 of a mile, in 45 second 1/16 of a mile segments, is the best length of the journey.

I do it because those 90 seconds are the best 90 seconds in my day.

I am so very much looking forward to a time when it won't be 90 seconds at the 1/4 and 3/4 marks, but 30 minutes for 3.1 miles.  Oh, that glorious day.

It truly is a terrible idea.

Oh, how I love terrible ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment